Dear St. James Family of School Parents, Guardians, Friends and Neighbours,
Wondering what your child is learning about equity, diversity, and inclusion at school? Curious what terms like ‘bias,’ ‘privilege,’ or ‘unlearning’ mean, or how they are used in the classroom? Want to know more about how to build and strengthen a diverse community at school and in our neighbourhoods?
Please join us for Let’s Talk About Diversity – a Parent Conversation, an evening workshop for parents and caregivers of students in the St James family of schools, made possible by the Ministry’s Parents Reaching Out Grants. We are grateful for members of the Catholic School Councils from each of the Family of Schools for helping to organize this event.
Parents/caregivers play a vital role in education. When you are involved, the learning experience is strengthened for the whole school community. When a student is safe, cared for and included, they can achieve to their highest potential.
This simultaneously in-person and virtual webinar is aimed at parents and caregivers of students at the St. James family of schools, in Wellington Catholic District School Board.
Join us as we explore how we all have a role in the success of all learners, facilitated by speakers from unlearn and Wellington Catholic District School Board.
This event will:
- introduce parents to the language and terminology of equity, diversity and inclusion that our children are learning in schools,
- explain what terms like bias, stereotype, prejudice and privilege mean, and how they help to allow us to value all in our community
- show how these concepts directly flow from our belief in the dignity of all human beings, created in the image of God
- empower you, the parent, because you are always your child’s first and most important teacher
We need your support, involvement, and accompaniment for a safer, welcoming open school, community and parish.
Learn, unlearn and discover a little more.
We are offering 2 events to offer flexibility, so join us for either. Both events are “in-person” or if you wish, you can attend virtually.
*Pre-registration is required and can be completed through this link @ https://forms.office.com/r/wN1RBpkUj3
Once pre-registration is completed, a confirmation email with a live link for the event will be sent for those wishing to attend virtually.
- Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 at Sacred Heart ROCKWOOD Catholic Elementary School (5146 Wellington Road, Rockwood, ON N0B 2K0)
Session (in-person AND virtual) begins at 6:00pm. Webinar concludes at 7:30pm. A link will be provided for those who wish to access the event via MS Teams.
Childcare is available on site and should be indicated on the pre-registration for planning purposes.
Light refreshments will be provided.
Hope to see as many Lions and future Lions out as possible. It’s a great way to connect with new families, meet the administration and get acquainted with our larger family of schools! Take care everyone!