We are excited to welcome children to Wellington Catholic District School Board Kindergarten classes this September!
Year 1 Kindergarten is the first opportunity children have to enjoy a classroom and school environment. The purpose of the program is to establish a strong foundation for learning in the early years, and to do so in a safe and caring, play-based environment that promotes the physical, social, emotional, and cognitive development of all children.
The Kindergarten Program reflects the belief that four- and five-year-olds are capable and competent learners, full of potential and ready to take ownership of their learning.
Early childhood is a critical period in children’s learning and development. Early experiences, particularly to the age of five, are known to affect the quality of [brain] architecture by establishing either a sturdy or a fragile foundation for all of the learning, health and behavior.
Experiences during the early years strongly influence their future physical, mental, and emotional health, and their ability to learn.
For these reasons, children’s early experiences at school are of paramount importance. Quality early-learning experiences have the potential to improve children’s overall health and well-being for a lifetime.
There are many benefits to registering your child for Year 1 Kindergarten, but here are a few key ones:
- a stronger start in school
- improves early reading, writing and math skills
- provides a strong foundation for future learning
- builds two years of growth in kindergarten that makes the transition to Grade 1 easier
- more time with classmates
- gives the opportunity to socialize with other children
- develops social and academic skills for future success
- a seamless and integrated day
- provides familiar surroundings with staff and friends
- avoids moving between different programs and locations
If you are interested in registering your child for Kindergarten for the 2023-2024 school year, please visit https://www.wellingtoncdsb.ca/kindergartenregistration/.